Monday 20 September 2010

Wardrobe Planning


I have recently returned from holiday where I took the chance to plan a brand new wardrobe. A walk-in wardrobe! Now I know that I am lucky enough to have a room in my house that we can spare - unfortunately I do still need to share it with hubby (just kidding!) but I thought I would share my tips on wardrobe planning.

One thing we have struggled with since moving into our house 4 years ago is lack of storage. We wanted a nice open, spacious house without clutter. Ha! We didn't realise exactly how much 'stuff'we had, and by stuff I do mean clothes, shoes, bags, scarves, jewellery, coats, etc etc, and how much space it would take up. So here's what I did:


1. Make a list of exactly what you want to store in the space. Will your shoes be stored there or do you have somewhere else for them? What abut coats?

2. Add to this list a rough idea on quantity & space needed. How many pairs of shoes?  Do you have lots of jewellery or will a little box on your dressing table do?


3. What type of storage do you need? Do trousers need to be hung full length or folded in half? Do you have long dresses that need to be hung up or could you get away with 2 clothes rails? What can be stored in drawers?

4. Measure the space you have available & start doodling!

We used the ANOTNIUS system from IKEA and after several sketches and plans now have a lovely, spacious wardobe suitable for all my (and hubby's) clothes.

Feel free to share your tips below and let me know how you planned your clothing space.

2 comments:

  1. some really good tips & you are doing so well with the big sort out!

    nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nikki! Seems a bit never-ending at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete